Update....... We have placed an order!
We're going through Poppyseed, and I can't tell you how patient and understanding she's been through all of our panics and indecision. Thank you Poppy!!
The Boy did a good job. He came to the conclusion that the key to knocking this out of the park is including ruby side stones, since her original ring has those. He also came to the conclusion that designing something from scratch is far too nerve wracking and makes him question the project as a whole. So he settled in the middle by choosing a traditional stock setting and customizing it with ruby sides.
The setting will be the DeBeers style three stone with the side stones in a three-prong setting to accentuate the overall curve of the three stones together.
The center will be a 6.5mm Amora, which is going to be a whopper for The Girl after 25 years with a 1/5 carat. The sides will be 4mm lab created rubies, which is just slightly more substantial than her current side rubies.
I tried to Photoshop color into the side stones and at the first one I said, "Hey, I think I kinda did it, hack job though it may be." Then I went to the right and tried to do it again and I couldn't figure out how I'd done the first one. Well, here's a photo of what we're getting, hack job and all. Whether or not The Boy will be able to budget for a band is undecided at this point.
Sharp mind, soft belly.