Custom Search
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 74 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
Finally!
by rockstep
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
DC Vacation Advice Needed!
by elf925
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
First word that comes to your mind...
by gruby
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
my new 3 stone ring!
by jcent
Yesterday at 07:48 PM
David Klass Photo Gallery
by haley459
08/30/14 11:33 PM
Forum Stats
11045 Members
49 Forums
47309 Topics
779085 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
tpdt
Newest Members
nopqrs807976, Staciann, akayani91, renee9102, swisswater
11045 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 35700121
celebrity engagement rings! 6735770
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3104208
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3102469
Check this seller out... 2247940
Favorites perfumes? 1946841
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1814450
Post your e-rings 1799107
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1565298
what's for supper tonight? 1289412
Latest photos...
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
custom Harry Potter inspired moissanite ring by David Klass
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#581192 - 11/10/10 01:53 PM Cost to have a stone set?
not sure Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: Oklahoma
Is there an average range it usually costs to have a solitaire stone set. I am trying to find the most economical way to get the ring I want. Any information would be helpful.

#581194 - 11/10/10 02:01 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: not sure]
Casey Offline
The Centenary Diamond

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: not sure
Is there an average range it usually costs to have a solitaire stone set. I am trying to find the most economical way to get the ring I want. Any information would be helpful.

That really depends on what stone you are going to have set in the solitaire, what size it size, the type of prongs on the setting, etc. etc.

A diamond or "non fragile" natural or lab gemstone like a sapphire can be set by most benches, however, it you are considering an Asha or a WinkCZ, then I would suggest sending it to Wink because his bench is used to setting czs.

There are lots of horror stories on here about people who have had their local jeweler set their Asha or CZ, only to have it come back scratched.

My local jeweler charges $45+ to set a stone. I used to have a local guy in CA who would do most stones for me for $25 and he usually did a great job so it can really vary.

#581195 - 11/10/10 02:04 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: Casey]
Casey Offline
The Centenary Diamond

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Casey
Originally Posted By: not sure

That really depends on what stone you are going to have set in the solitaire, what size it size, the type of prongs on the setting, etc. etc.

A diamond or "non fragile" natural or lab gemstone like a sapphire can be set by most benches, however, it you are considering an Asha or a WinkCZ, then I would suggest sending it to Wink because his bench is used to setting czs.

There are lots of horror stories on here about people who have had their local jeweler set their Asha or CZ, only to have it come back scratched.

My local jeweler charges $45+ to set a stone. I used to have a local guy in CA who would do most stones for me for $25 and he usually did a great job so it can really vary.

Ok, I just checked your other posts and I see that you are considering a moissy. If you buy the moissy from MoCo, ask them if they will set it for you in your setting, they used to do that if you buy the stone from them, but I'm not sure if they still do, so be sure and check.

#581197 - 11/10/10 02:07 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: Casey]
not sure Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: Oklahoma
Thank you, I will ask them.

#581199 - 11/10/10 02:18 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: not sure]
miloandtaz Offline
Afficionado

Loc: Boise, ID
I pay $25 to $55 depending on the stone and metal

#581202 - 11/10/10 02:29 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: not sure]
Theresa Offline
Connoisseur

Loc: Washington State
Jeez! My local jeweler that I trust is charging 80 for non-diamonds now! Ouch! I think I'll send them off instead.

#581523 - 11/12/10 03:37 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: Theresa]
Wink Offline
The Imperial Diamond

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Originally Posted By: Theresa
Jeez! My local jeweler that I trust is charging 80 for non-diamonds now! Ouch! I think I'll send them off instead.

That can be all well and good, but...

I charge $45 to set up to two carats, and a little more for stones larger than a 2ct diamond size. But...

If you send it to me you have to pay postage and insurance from you to me and from me to you. You can easily run up a bill that totals just a few dollars less than the $80 your jeweler wants and have the added time and worry of the mailing and insurance proceedure.

We set a lot of stones, so a lot of you find that worth while, but if you have a jeweler who can do it well and only save a few dollars by sending to me, you may find the convenience worth the extra few dollars.

Wink

1 800 524-7904

#581527 - 11/12/10 03:45 PM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: Wink]
Theresa Offline
Connoisseur

Loc: Washington State
Stuff adds up that's for sure. Thanks for the clarification Wink! The jeweler here is very good, I have had her set stones before and two years ago just setting a CZ was $50, so in two years her cost has gone up by $30.00. I guess everybody is feeling the pinch of needing the extra inflow of cash.

It just felt expensive when I only paid $40 for the stone.

#581584 - 11/13/10 01:39 AM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: not sure]
NatalieStar Offline
Mentor

Loc: Australia
I pay $25 + $20 for the rhodium dip if required. And if I get 2 rings done at the same time, I am only charged once for the dip! I really like my jeweller.

#581606 - 11/13/10 10:08 AM Re: Cost to have a stone set? [Re: Wink]
Anozira Offline
The Florentine Diamond

Originally Posted By: Wink
Originally Posted By: Theresa

That can be all well and good, but...

I charge $45 to set up to two carats, and a little more for stones larger than a 2ct diamond size. But...

If you send it to me you have to pay postage and insurance from you to me and from me to you. You can easily run up a bill that totals just a few dollars less than the $80 your jeweler wants and have the added time and worry of the mailing and insurance proceedure.

We set a lot of stones, so a lot of you find that worth while, but if you have a jeweler who can do it well and only save a few dollars by sending to me, you may find the convenience worth the extra few dollars.

Wink

Wink's right, it does add up quickly when you factor shipping both ways in. However imo I'd rather spend say $20 on shpg round trip than have to replace an Asha or Winfields CZ because it was ruined by someone local. It's happened to me before and so the addt'l expense of sending out some of my pretties for work is worth it to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi