Custom Search
Who's Online
2 registered (Melania, Nikki_Lovely), 54 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
crack in my platinum engagement ring
by m76steve
Today at 02:49 AM
Resizing Eternity Band?
by Dana ♥
Yesterday at 06:19 PM
David Klass Photo Gallery
by Ktrencha
Yesterday at 06:07 PM
If only I'd known....
by SugarCloud
Yesterday at 02:25 AM
Fabulous ring remake . . . morganite!l
by wiigal
Yesterday at 02:02 AM
Forum Stats
11086 Members
49 Forums
47351 Topics
779535 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
ccruce, Ellen123, Qanea
Newest Members
vertigo.s, papillon_azul, craigkatie1, mcdonaldkh, SparklyUnicorn
11086 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 35934983
celebrity engagement rings! 6788879
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3149195
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3124172
Check this seller out... 2270328
Favorites perfumes? 1958724
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1827384
Post your e-rings 1813309
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1578876
what's for supper tonight? 1301001
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#603054 - 02/23/11 12:02 PM What is the resale value of Moissanite?
DeathByDesign Offline
Ashaholic

I don't buy any jewelry expecting it to be an investment or something to fall back on, but I'm curious! Have you ever tried to sell a moissanite? What percentage of what you paid for it originally did you get back?

For instance, my enhanced 1.5ct moissy was around $600. What do you think I could sell it for (loose, I guess.) Not that I have any plans to sell mine!!

Thanks!

Edited by DeathByDesign (02/23/11 12:03 PM)

#603079 - 02/23/11 01:07 PM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
Lin Offline
Fiend

Last fall I sold a size 7 yellow gold moissanite eternity band on Ebay. It was channel set, 21 3mm stones - 2.1 carats, and in excellent condition. I bought it years ago from Bella Co. (which has gone out of business) for $599, sold it for $255 by auction.
Since then I occasionally check "completed search" after doing a search for "moissanite rings" just to see if/what things sold for. If there is some kind of pattern there it escapes me!
xoxo
Lin

#603127 - 02/23/11 05:31 PM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
CaneyQueen Offline
Mentor

Loc: Northeastern KY
I look at eBay plenty and I don't recall seeing enhanced moissanite for sale. Currently a regular loose moissanite 1.5ct on ebay=$460.00 compared to $505 new at moissaniteco.
My Moissy Hunt

This price can fluctuate depending on holidays (x-mas and v-day) and availability. I'd say it holds it's value pretty well and people seem to lose much less money on resale than with commercial grade diamonds. Rings from the mall selling for around $1700-$3000 I've seen go for as little as $300-$500. Personally I feel comfortable buying moissanite online since they should be the same quality (unless it's old stock) where buying diamonds can be risky site unseen.

#603458 - 02/24/11 07:01 PM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
MissCassie Offline
The Pink Orchid

Loc: Minnesota
I would say (from what I've seen) you can get anywhere from 50-90% of the stones value back, where with diamonds you are lucky to get 30% of the wholesale value unless it is truly an exceptional stone. My friend had a .5ct diamond, bought it for $1,500, and after the divorce couldn't find ANYONE who would buy it for more than $300.

#603556 - 02/25/11 12:17 AM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: MissCassie]
angelfoodcake Offline
Fiend

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: MissCassie
I would say (from what I've seen) you can get anywhere from 50-90% of the stones value back, where with diamonds you are lucky to get 30% of the wholesale value unless it is truly an exceptional stone. My friend had a .5ct diamond, bought it for $1,500, and after the divorce couldn't find ANYONE who would buy it for more than $300.

I don't know much about re-selling 2nd hand, but maybe this story has something to do with it being wedding jewellery? It's very emotional. I don't know anyone who'd buy a 2nd hand engagement ring that came from a divorced home. Karma and stuff...

#603590 - 02/25/11 06:35 AM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: angelfoodcake]
DeathByDesign Offline
Ashaholic

Originally Posted By: angelfoodcake
I don't know much about re-selling 2nd hand, but maybe this story has something to do with it being wedding jewellery? It's very emotional. I don't know anyone who'd buy a 2nd hand engagement ring that came from a divorced home. Karma and stuff...

That's pretty silly considering a lot of jewelers sell "second-hand" diamonds that were traded in or sold to them anyway. :P

My mother had a diamond engagement ring that belonged to her mother appraised. It was appraised at 2k. She turned around and asked the exact jeweler who just appraised it to buy it from her, and he wouldn't offer more than $300.

Edited by DeathByDesign (02/25/11 06:38 AM)

#603600 - 02/25/11 07:02 AM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
angelfoodcake Offline
Fiend

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: DeathByDesign

That's pretty silly considering a lot of jewelers sell "second-hand" diamonds that were traded in or sold to them anyway. :P

My mother had a diamond engagement ring that belonged to her mother appraised. It was appraised at 2k. She turned around and asked the exact jeweler who just appraised it to buy it
from her, and he wouldn't offer more than $300.

Wow.
So where would this ring be worth 2k if nobody would buy it for that amount? What's an appraisal good for then? Just for the insurance?

#603604 - 02/25/11 07:18 AM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
tricksi Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Loc: is everything
I just don't think jewelry retains value very well. I would plan on maybe getting half of what I paid back. If that. Unless the style is very unique or it's set in a designer mounting. And with diamonds? Must have appraisals and documentation such as GIA certificates to get the best return and most bidding interest. That is, if you're a private individual seller and especially for a more expensive diamond.

And remember, replacement value appraisals are very different. That's what is estimated it'd cost to buy a comparable diamond new on the retail market. Of course you can find diamonds cheaper new but that's a basic guideline to replace your stone for insurance purposes. It's not a true reflection of what your stone is worth on the second hand market.

Sad to say, that's why I don't like to buy new diamonds (or even jewelry) at retail prices. It's like a car. Once you drive it off the lot (put it on your finger), it's lost a good amount of value just because it's used.

#603611 - 02/25/11 07:59 AM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: DeathByDesign]
ringenvy1 Offline
Mentor

Last year I purchased a 2ct moissy on the bay for 450.00. It is the exact ring that was new at Jcpenney for 1900.00. I am sure they inflate the price but I am just trying to compare the prices. It was set in white gold not enhanced stone. I turned around and sold it about 8 months later for what I paid.

I can't remember who posted but I do agree with what they say...it is like buying a new car. Once you buy it the value drops. I will NEVER purchase new again unless I can't find what I am looking for ton the bistro and such. I enjoyed the ring for a year and turned around and got all of my investment back.

#603706 - 02/25/11 02:18 PM Re: What is the resale value of Moissanite? [Re: angelfoodcake]
MissCassie Offline
The Pink Orchid

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: MissCassie

Nope, no one was informed that the diamond had come from a wedding ring. She went to a few jewelers with her certificate (it was a certified diamond) to ask if they would be willing to buy it, and they wouldn't. It's just that diamonds really aren't that rare or valuable. Just like anything, the price has to be increased from what it cost to make it so that profit can be made, but we all know it isn't worth close to the retail price.

Although, considering that diamonds are millions of years in the making, how can anyone consider those "new?" wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi