Custom Search
Who's Online
10 registered (gingersapphire, claireos, 5 invisible), 43 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
looking to get a half eternity made. Would you suggest
by jcent
07:17 PM
celebrity engagement rings!
by MissDymonds666
02:01 PM
Another new site for WinkCZ
by 2blingornot
01:35 PM
Need a post dedicated to pics of Winfield creations!
by MissDymonds666
12:16 PM
Jeweler Swapped Stones - What Would You Do?
by Brit
05:51 AM
Forum Stats
10586 Members
49 Forums
46855 Topics
773936 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
asianprincess475, Baby Rocks, Jn, lisa-rimar
Newest Members
msop04, Nixon01, MandarinLime, lakid310, brougham33
10586 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 33692763
celebrity engagement rings! 6015899
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 2852739
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 2554695
Check this seller out... 2006442
Favorites perfumes? 1818902
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1650619
Post your e-rings 1646586
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1423524
what's for supper tonight? 1168199
Latest photos...
Rose gold collection!
custom Harry Potter inspired moissanite ring by David Klass
Our custom rose & white gold rings..and candy!
Cluster goodness!!
YG filigree ruby ring
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#671250 - 10/17/11 11:10 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
jcent Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Canada
I am flattered too, but a little sad that there will be one the exact same as mine...in size and everything. But it is great business for Schubachs, and that makes me so happy for them, as mine was months of stress for all of us, and they deserve to profit from going through that.

The other thing to remember, is that there are very few pieces that weren`t insprired by something else. And every jeweler has their own style, so nothing hand made is really ever exactly that same...the nuances are always a little different.

#671257 - 10/17/11 11:24 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
MissKK Offline
Omniscient

Loc: Snohomish, Washington
sorry jcent. frown I'd be really disappointed if it were me.

I know with my ring I originally wanted to do something similar to one of poshpeppers rings but I wanted to change it up a bit to keep hers unique. Who knows though I may still make something similar someday. smile I think its more fun to borrow aspects from different rings to create your own

#671266 - 10/17/11 11:29 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
roogirl Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Sparklieville USA
The only thing that would ever bother me is if the person that was wanting my ring lived close to me.... other then that there could be a ring recreated like mine for ever lady on this forum and I would have no problem what so ever....

and your so right about few pieces that weren't inspired by other pieces...

#671279 - 10/17/11 11:38 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: roogirl]
unASHAmed SIM lo Offline
Craving

I agree with Roogirl. I mean, if you don't live near the "inspiration" and don't know them personally, why should they care? That said, if I did copy someone's design, I wouldn't post it on a forum they frequent. There's a saying that what the eye doesn't see, the heart can't grieve...so if the inspiration doesn't come face to face with the reproduction, where's the harm??

#671297 - 10/17/11 11:49 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
MissBrowner Offline
Ashaholic

I sure don't live near them, thats for sure. I'm assuming if their pictures are on btd's homepage for the ring setting they dont mind, thats what its there for right? inspiration? It wouldnt be the same size, because her center rock is much too big for me. I thought it was pretty rare, because I hadnt seen that stone with the setting, but the more i look the more i see..

#671304 - 10/17/11 11:57 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
SaraAnna1104 Offline
Omniscient

Loc: Good ol' Uncle Sam decides tha...
Originally Posted By: MissBrowner
I'm assuming if their pictures are on btd's homepage for the ring setting they dont mind, thats what its there for right? inspiration?

Well, I'd still ask. I think the picture is up to show off the stone. If you get inspiration for a "spin off" ring (like MissKK said, taking elements from the ring) I would think you wouldn't need to ask. But if you want to replicate it, it doesn't hurt to ask smile

Edited by SaraAnna1104 (10/17/11 11:57 AM)

#671305 - 10/17/11 11:59 AM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
MissBrowner Offline
Ashaholic

Oh for sure I will!

#671307 - 10/17/11 12:02 PM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissBrowner]
e.taylor Offline
The Black Orlov

I'm sure they won't mind me sharing (and I'll keep it anonymous) but I had someone contact me and ask to replicate my "snow white." That is what my dd calls my ruby ring. lol. I was all "have at it! Here's who made it, here's the email address and phone number, give him a call!"

But there's is going to be a difference since mine is an earth mined stone and has very unique properties (she has a freckle-lol.) It's not going to be the "exact" ring. Ultimately though, either way, what can we do? When we put pics out there they're GOING to inspire someone! Whether that person choses to replicate the ring exactly as it was done or tweak it to fit their tastes it doesn't change how you love your ring!

I also had someone ask to use my daughter's name. That I bristled at! I mean, I don't own it, but it's VERY unique and rare and I was upset. Had they chosen to go ahead and use it, what could I have done? lol!

I think it's nice and respectful to ask and most everyone would be totally flattered.

#671308 - 10/17/11 12:02 PM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: MissKK]
jcent Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: MissKK
sorry jcent. frown I'd be really disappointed if it were me.

The 2 that were already made have slight differences. The second video is actually very different and even made at a different bench. These ones really don`t bother me at all, and I think it is fun that people wanted to copy. The peachy pink one they are doing with this run of peachy pinks...and really, that is someone`s ering. She just wants to have something she loves, and I hope that for every girl getting their ring... Once you se what you love, it can be hard to forget it. smile Would it have been nice of her to change it a little??? sure!! But I just see it that my taste is so impeccable, she couldn`t think of one single way to make it better, lol.

#671309 - 10/17/11 12:04 PM Re: "stealing" somebody's design [Re: jcent]
e.taylor Offline
The Black Orlov

Originally Posted By: jcent
But I just see it that my taste is so impeccable, she couldn`t think of one single way to make it better, lol.

A to the Men, sistah!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi