Custom Search
Who's Online
3 registered (canary22, Sparkle Addict, 1 invisible), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
The 3 reasons I have been gone ;)
by essaince
Yesterday at 01:28 PM
Coconut oil is awesome!!!!
by SugarCloud
Yesterday at 01:39 AM
What is metal hallmark 960?
by elf925
10/23/14 06:58 PM
My new Chris CZ stones
by tizlet
10/23/14 06:39 PM
What to do when a project goes bad?
by CaraMish
10/21/14 07:46 PM
Forum Stats
11242 Members
48 Forums
47383 Topics
779759 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
HayleySuzanne
Newest Members
mnopqr190337, zenny83, moissanitefan, grilledcheese, Kimbo
11242 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 36860220
celebrity engagement rings! 7070091
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3367248
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3206872
Check this seller out... 2354251
Favorites perfumes? 1998230
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1894009
Post your e-rings 1861497
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1628006
what's for supper tonight? 1342558
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#700030 - 01/09/12 02:09 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: Firefly]
jcent Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Canada
hmmm, good to know. I need balance right now. I am losing too much from hyperemesis again.

#700038 - 01/09/12 02:13 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: Firefly]
Firefly Offline
Fiend

Thanks for the info e!

#700060 - 01/09/12 03:18 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: e.taylor]
sparklee Offline
The Millenium Star

Loc: My house
Originally Posted By: e.taylor
It's an incredibly healthy fat. There's been a lot of misinformation in the past because of the fact that it's a medium chain fatty acid and is a saturated fat.

However it is incredibly healing, contains both caprylic and lauric acid (only otherwise found in breastmilk!) and is also thermogenic. It raises your basal body temp and is great for the thyroid, as well as fighting yeast and healing the gut. And because it's thermogenic it requires the body to work harder to burn it resulting in a higher expenditure of calories.

People have vilified MCFA across the board without distinguishing between the goodies and the baddies....similarly to saturated fats, which it also is!

Another issue is that the big study that was done using CO did so using hydrogenated coconut oil. The good stuff (extra virgin coconut oil) is NOT hydrogenated. The study has no relevance.

My two cents!

What she said......

I eat coconut oil by the spoonful!!! grin

#700064 - 01/09/12 03:35 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: jcent]
e.taylor Offline
The Black Orlov

Originally Posted By: jcent
hmmm, good to know. I need balance right now. I am losing too much from hyperemesis again.

GO slow and steady. Different people have relief with different things and too much fat, as beneficial as it is, may not work in your favor.

#700074 - 01/09/12 03:58 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: Firefly]
jcent Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

lol, no that already crossed my mind. sick

#700189 - 01/09/12 08:34 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: jcent]
GwenAnn Offline
Ashaholic

Thanks E! I feed it to DD in a number of things and think it has realt benefited her and helped with weight gain.

I work with kiddos with feeding disorders and love coconut oil as a way to add calories (not to say, jcent, that your DD has a feeding disorder, your post just made me think of it).

A lot of times people add butter or cream to increase calories but these often cause indigestion, which exacerbates the problem, especially if the kiddo suffers from reflux. Okay, enough geeking out on work stuff!

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get."-Dale Carnegie

#700202 - 01/09/12 10:02 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: Firefly]
jcent Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

My DD is celiac smile I think there is still healing to be done, and am especially interested in coconut oil now as it can aid with that.... But her weight gain is actually ok now, so I am much relieved. smile

#700219 - 01/10/12 04:51 AM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: GwenAnn]
e.taylor Offline
The Black Orlov

Originally Posted By: GwenAnn
Thanks E! I feed it to DD in a number of things and think it has realt benefited her and helped with weight gain.

I work with kiddos with feeding disorders and love coconut oil as a way to add calories (not to say, jcent, that your DD has a feeding disorder, your post just made me think of it).

A lot of times people add butter or cream to increase calories but these often cause indigestion, which exacerbates the problem, especially if the kiddo suffers from reflux. Okay, enough geeking out on work stuff!

Geek out all you want! I work with this on a regular basis as well. I cringe when the dairy recommendations come through.

My dd has celiac too and had a feeding team as a child. Even before she was diagnosed with CD, she couldn't eat on her own from birth. As we were looking for answers, my pediatrician PUSHED dairy on dd because she was FTT (and threatened me with a DCF referral if I didn't comply.) Even with her history and the fact that she projectile vomited if *I* ate dairy and she got it in my milk. Clearly, it wasn't a great choice for her but they'd have none of it.

Now, at almost 8 she still can't have dairy without massive cramping, digestive distress, reflux and rashes. Very common with CD, actually...but thanks for nothing, doc! ((shudder))

#700849 - 01/11/12 04:38 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: e.taylor]
GwenAnn Offline
Ashaholic

Oh e.taylor, my heart goes out to you. I believe feeding disorders are one of the most difficult things to deal with as a mom. I mean as moms, our visceral need is to feed our child so they will grow. And it seems like it should be so easy and natural but that is not always the case.

Often by the time these kiddos get to me, they have so many negative behaviors and experiences with food. It takes a lot to undo the damage and is a very slow process. And the moms have been dealing with conflicting recommendations...it's just terrible.

And don't even get me started on FTT...I mean it's not even a diagnosis...it's a SYMPTOM of an underlying problem. A child does not just have failure to thrive...there is a reason...but so many doctors use it as a catch all diagnosis instead of finding out what the real problem is...really chaps my hide!!!

Your DD is lucky to have such a knowledgeable and strong mommma !

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get."-Dale Carnegie

#700862 - 01/11/12 04:58 PM Re: Metabolism miracle/PGX [Re: GwenAnn]
e.taylor Offline
The Black Orlov

well, I'm pretty lucky to have her! IT was a long road and she ended up being properly diagnosed eventually. She has celiac disease, ehler's danlos syndrome and is on the autism spectrum. She is an amazing kid though! She's a little fighter and thank god for that!

And yeah...I feel the same about so many "diagnoses." They've slapped labels on symptoms left and right and made them their own disorder. Drives me batty, and FTT is just one many!

We were lucky to have a great team early on. She was never able to eat on her own from birth so luckily she didn't have time to develop other issues. My brother on the other hand? It's too bad he was never evaluated. He's now starting to branch out and try new textures at 21! He spent all of grade school, middle school and high school able to eat only 5 or 6 foods, and even then it wasn't just "pasta" it was spaghetti. He couldn't do other shapes.

Anyway, it's been a long road, but worth it when this pumpkin is on it with me!

*poof!*

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi