Custom Search
Who's Online
3 registered (Nicci, blkqueen, mrsns), 93 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
David Klass
by Pink Crush
Today at 05:33 PM
She's back! better than ever in her new seamless home!
by Lucid115
Today at 04:23 PM
How long do rings usually take?
by david77123
Yesterday at 09:51 AM
What to consider when buying a thin solitaire
by diamondringlover
Yesterday at 06:18 AM
So in love with this Brian Gavin Solitaire BUT......
by Brit
11/21/14 09:11 AM
Forum Stats
11703 Members
48 Forums
47469 Topics
780734 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
ebedner, LORRISSEY
Newest Members
pqrstu545622, ijklmn895066, fghijk292258, fghijk900358, hijklm749148
11703 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 37914548
celebrity engagement rings! 7254552
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3530082
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3273110
Check this seller out... 2409848
Favorites perfumes? 2029056
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1945904
Post your e-rings 1893695
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1660850
what's for supper tonight? 1371557
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#715122 - 02/22/12 04:53 PM Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review
lessw Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Hi all,
Wanted to share a photo taken today by the grading gem lab that compares the color difference between Amora Enhanced Moissanite, and Charles and Colvards 'new' enhanced Moissanite called 'Forever Brilliant'.

While the brand name is new, the technology is not - this is the same as the 'old' enhanced Moissanite's from before. It is a process done by Serenity Tech where a softer than emerald coating is applied to the back of the stone (quartz coating).

The coating is imbued with two different dopants that attempt to color cancel yellow tinting (via pink) and green tinting (via blue).

For a 1 ct round, the result seems to be a color improvement of roughly 1 color grade, but at the expense of imparting a grey tone to the stone (the effect of the color cancellation). The Forever Brilliant Moissanite is labeled as "C&C coated" below:

In terms of final color grading - 1 ct round:
Amora Enhanced Moissanite: H color
Forever Brilliant Moissanite: J color

CTHR has also apparently decided to copy Amora enhanced pricing to the dollar with the Forever Grey, I mean Brilliant, product.

However, unlike Amora enhanced, you won't get an independent grading report and in my opinion, the above results likely show why. But, here is what one looks like for a 1ct Forever Brilliant:

As noted, the coating for the Forever Brilliant is softer than emerald, so it is not considered a permanent treatment. The Amora enhancement is intrinsic to the stone itself, so there is no coating that could wear off.

UPDATE: The CEO of Charles and Colvard now has publicly stated that the Forever Brilliant is not a coating...so we will be setting up an XPS testing to prove that it is:

Quote:
Q: My understanding is its more of a coating [colored moissanite] whereas it sounds like this whiter moissanite really does affect the entire jewel so it’s a different process?

Randy:
The white moissanite, you can literally saw the stone in half and its all the way through.
It changes the structure internally in the stone so that it uh filters In the past it obviously filters out white and gives you the flashes of yellows and faint greens, and it changes that structure so that its reflecting back white.

Q: Great, that’s good to confirm that.

The Forever Brilliant was purchased directly from the C&C website and clearly has a coating...so there will be follow up testing and posted results.

I did do some research and found a report from GIA that tested the Serenity coating process when used to add color to diamonds here:
GIA report on Serenity Coating process and durability

The highlights - GIA states:

Quote:

"As the durability testing indicated, this is not a permanent treatment."

SiO2 films… have a Moh's hardness close to 7.

"Retipping of a prong with a low temperature solder caused a pronounced change in the appearance…"

"…following rhodium plating, approximately 10% of the surface showed evidence of damage…"

"…the coatings…were removed where the pavillion facet was polished with a wheel charged with either Tripoli or Rouge".

Here are some photos, from the GIA report:

If stone is touched during ring polishing:

If stone is exposed to heat during low temp retipping:

Finally, if stone is rhodium plated (I suspect the electrical charge used in rhodium plating undoes the bonding between the quartz coating and the stone):

For comparison, here's a copy of a raw moissanite grading for example:

Best regards
Less

Edited by lessw (02/23/12 02:29 PM)
Edit Reason: added Randy's direct claim that FB alters the stone and not a coating!

President,
http://BetterThanDiamond.com

#715128 - 02/22/12 05:05 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
KatNewby Offline
Connoisseur

Loc: Michigan
frown

#715129 - 02/22/12 05:08 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
Hoyden Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: Alameda, CA
So in other words, the gray wash that C&C put on the stone is not permanent and will degrade over time with normal wear & tear.

So someone like me who is a bull in china shop would end up dipping this baby into leather dye reduced when she forgot to remove her ring and destroy it.

How would the Amora process hold up to someone like me who handles leather dyes, reducers & chemicals etc on a regular basis? I usually remove my rings, but every once in awhile, I forget to. Usually at a show or something.

I don't quite understand the Amora process, is it a permanent process that I can't knock off, chip off, discolor or otherwise screw up?

#715130 - 02/22/12 05:13 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
lessw Offline

The Florentine Diamond

See if this helps clarify things:

1 - Moissanite is natively a 'faint tint' color stone- K-N for typical center stone sizes.

Thus the reason for enhancements, since typical diamond purchases are H color.

2 - Forever Brilliant - the tinting is masked with a quartz film, softer than emerald, applied to the back of the stone.

A 1ct round improves 1 color grade (i.e. K->J). The color cancellation reduces the green and yellow, but appears to create/add grey as a result. No independent certification of the final color.

3 - Amora Enhanced Moissanite - an atomic level improvement where nothing is added to the stone, and which addresses the true source of the tinting - broken molecular bonds.

After treatment the crystal is natively improved. Typically, hardness is increased by 1.5% (University testing), and color is improved 3-4 color grades.

Most larger rounds improve from K/L -> H color. Amora enhanced come with an independent color certification to verify the color improvement.

Thats the simplified version of things smile

Best regards
Less

President,

#715134 - 02/22/12 05:25 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
KatNewby Offline
Connoisseur

Loc: Michigan
Less, I realize this is a difficult question to answer at this point in time, but do you have any clue at all if the Amora gem will ever be offered in an OEC cut, or are those of us who love this cut better off to get an original moissanite with the amora treatment?

#715139 - 02/22/12 05:41 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
avila05 Offline
Fiend

Loc: california
If nothing is added to the stone for amora treatment, how does it work with oec's?
since they can be ordered without the enhancement and then sent back FOR the enhancement if preferred?

#715142 - 02/22/12 05:47 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
Hoyden Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: Alameda, CA
So if I understand you correctly, the Amora treatment makes the moissanite HARDER than the untreated moissanite?

If that is true, then that settles that argument for the future Mrs. Reck. lol

#715148 - 02/22/12 06:03 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: avila05]
lessw Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Originally Posted By: avila05
If nothing is added to the stone for amora treatment, how does it work with oec's?
since they can be ordered without the enhancement and then sent back FOR the enhancement if preferred?

The cut is irrelevant. All Amora enhanced Moissanite start as raw/regular Moissanite.

Whether they are processed via the Amora enhanced treatment determines if they end up as an Amora enhanced or not.

Hope that helps,
Less

President,

#715153 - 02/22/12 06:08 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: Hoyden]
lessw Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Originally Posted By: Hoyden
So if I understand you correctly, the Amora treatment makes the moissanite HARDER than the untreated moissanite?

If that is true, then that settles that argument for the future Mrs. Reck. lol

We had nanonindentation hardness testing done at a major university. The average results of 10 tests was a 1.5% increase in hardness compared to regular Moissanite. The results are still subject to statistical fluctuations, but the average as noted was 1.5%.

So, we do not *guarantee* that it is harder, but that was the average result and it makes sense from a theoretical perspective as well.

The reason we did the testing was really to counter Charles and Colvard constantly implying that the treatment might damage the stone long term...basically their way of using Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt to try and offset the affect Amora was having on their regular unenhanced product imo.

So that testing kind of settled that, and showed a likely benefit.

Hope that helps,
Less

President,

#715154 - 02/22/12 06:19 PM Re: Forever Brilliant compared to Amora Enhanced - photo review [Re: lessw]
NewSparkle Offline
Mentor

Less, my ring (purchased about one year ago, before Amora) is the enhanced Moissanite sold by MoissCo. They publicly stated numerous times that the enhancement was permanent, a big reason by I chose that stone. The caveats were that if the stone was heated above a specific temperature, that may affect the coating.

So my question is, do you think this is untrue? I feel like MoissCo wouldn't misrepresent the product. Also aren't the color moissanites created via a similar coating through Serenity?

Sorry, longer than anticipated response! I got excited talking about my Moissy.

Edited by NewSparkle (02/22/12 06:20 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi