So, I have an update. I had a near freak out this afternoon. It's my last day of the review period and I don't know why I waited until last minute to e-mail SK, but I needed to find out how much the project is going to be now that I've chosen a bigger stone. We had originally discussed a 9mm round, but now my diamond is bigger than that...so I expected it would be more expensive. Wintotty's stone was 8.61 x 8.74 while mine is 10.23 x 9.23 and the ring is a size 5 while I'm a 4-4.25, so SK would need to create a new basket, prongs, and resize the ring. Well, I found out it would be a tad more expensive and the gap between totally custom and buying a used ring was getting smaller--almost the same really. That had me questioning of I should start from scratch again, or find a different diamond.
So I called SK up and we discussed the possibility of just doing the whole thing custom instead, and bless his heart, the honest man said we should try this out first and not waste it, and if he thinks it won't work out after looking at it, we could discuss custom. WOW, now that's a stand up guy. A lot of jewelers would just advise you to go with the easiest, less risky, and more profitable route (new custom ring). He is so awesome and honest.
I now feel very good about this project again and I'm very excited. Sending it out Monday!!!