Custom Search
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
Have you ever turned a ring into a pendant? Is it possible?
by SugarCloud
Today at 02:35 AM
Amcor Lace Band?
by axeyourmakeupkit
09/30/14 09:28 PM
Got my ring today...AG is great, setting-not what i expected
by lessw
09/30/14 05:18 PM
First Takara white lab diamonds - rough crystals
by Donna Noble
09/29/14 12:01 PM
My Moissanite Ornate Legacy!
by SparkleFarkle
09/29/14 08:50 AM
Forum Stats
11133 Members
49 Forums
47387 Topics
779825 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
eds, csha, axeyourmakeupkit, darkchocqueen, JCarol
11133 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 36069532
celebrity engagement rings! 6882146
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3231547
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3152488
Check this seller out... 2299932
Favorites perfumes? 1973047
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1851467
Post your e-rings 1828283
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1593904
what's for supper tonight? 1313429
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7846 - 09/20/03 08:23 AM White sapphires next best thing to Asha
Gail Offline
Curious

I bought a good quality diamond cut round white sapphire from planetary gems several months ago and then compared it to the H&A Asha in all lighting. In sunlight, they were virtually identical. In indoor lighting, the Asha won hands down in sparkle. I have not had the sapphire or the Asha set yet so cannot compare them in that respect. Both are very pretty. But a white sapphire might make a nice gemstone e-ring, generally comparable to a D color diamond, if you like them that colorless.

http://www.planetarygems.com/Diamondpage.htm

Hopefully that link will work.

#7847 - 09/20/03 10:40 AM Re: White sapphires next best thing to Asha [Re: Gail]
diamondangel Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Northwestern NJ
The majority of white sapphires that I have seen have not looked that great as a diamond simulant. They are pretty for what they are, but I don't think the ones I have seen look very diamond like.

#7848 - 09/21/03 06:04 AM Re: White sapphires next best thing to Asha [Re: diamondangel]
Gail Offline
Curious

I was very fortunate that I was able to find a very good quality sapphire at Planetary Gems. It is the only gem I have bought from them so far but I may buy more in the future because they have some beautiful sapphires. The diamond cut white sapphire I bought was not cheap, I think it was $333.00 @ 1.72 ct. I looked at both the sapphire and the H&A round Asha in many lightings and was impressed by both, though the Asha did sparkle more in indoor lighting. I have looked at many sapphires and often they are not what I would consider good quality. I only began looking at the white sapphires as a kind of side trip from looking for good quality yellow sapphires. I did not discover BTD while they had their yellow Ashas and have wanted a yellow diamond substitute for some time now, which led me to yellow sapphires. I have seen a few yellow sapphires that appear to be well cut and very pretty but have just not found what I am looking for yet. I like canary too but also like the orangy-yellow color of the Takaras, though those are a bit out of my price range without some sort of financing. And like you have said, it is hard to justify to oneself sometimes spending so much on themselves when there is a family to raise. Some, most really, of the yellow sapphires are out of my price range too, but so far I have not found what I am looking for in yellow anyway. The problem of course is to bypass the inferior stones and find the very good quality sapphires with a price you can live with. So I am still looking...

#7849 - 10/12/03 09:26 AM Re: White sapphires next best thing to Asha [Re: Gail]
nichole Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: Washington State
I considered a white sapphire as diamond simulant, but the refractive index of sapphire is sooooo much lower, and I think that is what makes diamonds so fun... the refraction ;-)

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi