Custom Search
Who's Online
4 registered (northgirl, Danielle844, jonesishere, Sesha), 61 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
David Klass Photo Gallery
by RedRocks
Today at 06:42 PM
New Custom 3 stone by David Klass!
by 2blingornot
Today at 05:28 PM
Photos for Cricketgrrl
by 2blingornot
Today at 05:21 PM
Fabulous ring remake . . . morganite!l
by 2blingornot
Today at 05:18 PM
If only I'd known....
by canary22
Today at 12:25 PM
Forum Stats
11084 Members
49 Forums
47346 Topics
779504 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
blingbaby, Skipper10
Newest Members
craigkatie1, mcdonaldkh, SparklyUnicorn, serenity_1217, meowmeow
11084 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 35911964
celebrity engagement rings! 6785172
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3146297
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3123080
Check this seller out... 2268968
Favorites perfumes? 1958147
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1826402
Post your e-rings 1812507
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1578150
what's for supper tonight? 1300335
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267375 - 08/26/06 03:28 AM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing? [Re: upgradable]
tricksi Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Loc: is everything
Quote:

Quote:

My goodness the world of colored gemstones is confusing! LOL

I have some beauties, but am thinking about posting some on the MGR. Do you suppose there would be many takers?

Probably! If they don't sell then you're not out anything so why not go for it?

I really like rhodolite garnet. It has more of a berry hue to it than regular garnet which tends toward the red. And pink tourmaline - ahh, it's ok. I have a Pink tourmaline ring I'll post pictures of. But it's unique to lots of people so I do get compliments though I don't know if the color is all that great (I mean I don't know if it's the best representation of pink T color wise).

#267376 - 08/27/06 05:08 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: tricksi]
toothfairy Offline
Mentor

Loc: Chicagoland
That ring is stunning..where is it from?

#267377 - 08/27/06 07:53 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: toothfairy]
Anozira Offline
The Florentine Diamond

Thanks toothfairy. This ring is available at SamsClub, of all places and ShopNBC. Both rings are set in 14k rose gold, the one at Sams has a 2ct oval but the ShopNBC one has a 3ct oval, I believe the ct. weight on the diamonds is about .20 or a little less.

Love your tagline by the way, my aunt is a dentist so I've always appreciated dental humor. There was a sign at my orthodontist's office that read: It's never too late to go straight. Cracked me up everytime and his license plates read 'I bend wire' when sounded out loud

#267378 - 08/28/06 07:47 AM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: Anozira]
tricksi Offline

The Florentine Diamond

Loc: is everything
here are some caparison shots I took showing the difference between pink T and rhodolite. The rhodolite garnet is set in sterling (flower ring), the other is pink tourmaline set in yellow gold.
I also found I have a eternity ring in yellow gold with rhodolite garnets. The stones are so small that it can be worn next to the pink tourmaline ring and there is barely any color difference.

Attachments
(19 downloads)

#267379 - 08/28/06 08:33 AM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: tricksi]
Anozira Offline
The Florentine Diamond

I see the difference Tricksi, there seems to be a little more purple in the rhodolite. Thanks for posting!

#267380 - 08/30/06 11:52 AM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: Anozira]
Mushie Offline
Omniscient

Loc: Northern VA
When I took my DCA Gemology course, I learned all about this stuff. Most people are amazed to find out Corundum (sapphire's mineral name) occurs in red, but this is what we know as ruby. You may want to go to Borders and pick up a Gem book or two. They are great to look at, and to me, even more fun to read. When I work at the shop people love coming in and talking to me as I know about the history of Gemstones, where they got their names, and the most famous of them. I also know tons about Vintage pieces, and can eye an OMC or an OEC a mile away. I think that you would really have alot of fun reading about them. Take this for example: The ancient Persians believed that the earth rested on a giant sapphire whose reflection gave the sky its color. Damigeron, a historian of old, wrote that sapphire was worn by kings to protect them from harm. It was also believed that sapphire would protect the wearer from envy and attract divine favor. The gem was regarded as a symbol of truth, sincerity and constancy.
Legend has it that if a poisonous snake were put into a vessel along with a sapphire, the rays from the gem would kill it. Our ancestors interpreted this to mean that sapphire was an antidote against poison. At one time any blue gem material was called sapphire. References to a blue-flecked stone led mineral experts to realize that some of what had been called "sappheiros" was actually lapis lazuli. "Sappheiros" is Greek for "blue." (Story copied and pasted from website cwjewelers.com)
So the vast histories and folk lores of some gemstones are just amazing!! Have fun, and it will prbably make some of them more sentimental to you as well. I know that it has mine.

#267381 - 09/03/06 05:20 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: Mushie]
wench34 Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Scotland in my dreams
I had picked up several gem books when I became engaged to DH......I already had my sights on tanzanite, kunzite, and iolite...all too soft to wear everyday...sigh.......but have lots of the tanzanite and iolite...and have a honker of kunzite that I need to set......hmmmmmm.......

#267382 - 09/09/06 07:52 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing? [Re: Anozira]
Valeria101 Offline
Ashaholic

Quote:

BD why is Tourmaline more expensive if the gravity is lower than that of Rhodolite and the hardness is almost the same?

This is a good one... It gets worse: tourmaline is 'duller' than garnet (lower RI). It even is obvious in the picture of the two rings - perhaps less in person since the stones are small, but the image is magnified...

Now, I think there is a very good reason for the prices given the 'average' tourmaline and garnet. Tourmaline looks GREAT in larger stones - they keep the cheerful color in most lights, while garnet is inevitably dark when large (if there are exceptions, they are few and far between).

The finest red tourmaline might tout 'stop-light red' (hence the name 'rubelite' - hailing of ruby), the finest garnet might pretend, but... no mistake. Hei! low priced ruby is even accused of looking like 'garnet' - none could be downgraded for looking like 'rubelite' (that would be preise - odd, but true).

One hem book does a superb job explaining these 'idiosyncrasies' of gem prices - Richard Wise's. Especially the intro (it has a chapter about gem preciousness in general - a real treat, IMO). Might even be online, that chapter (www.secretsofthegemtrade.com). It was such a treat to read this one, it remained one of the 3-4 books I absolutely love to talk about. There is 'Ruby & sapphire' and Gubelin's 'Lore of Colored Stones' (or something)... Still, 'value' and prices doesn't make such a clear presence in any other book about precious stones but Wise's, and that was bound to be music to the economics-trained ears. I am still in love (as you gal's can see).

[gee... 'wrote this, not sure if Richard actually wants 'fan mail' as cheesy as this!]

Edited by Valeria101 (09/09/06 07:53 PM)

#267383 - 09/09/06 08:41 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing? [Re: Valeria101]
LovelyLolita Offline
Afficionado

Loc: Phx, AZ
Thanks for that useful pic Triksi. I am a visual person. I love the pink tourmaline.

#267384 - 09/10/06 06:17 PM Re: Pink Tourmaline & Rhodolite are the same thing [Re: wench34]
DiamondLil Offline
Mentor

Loc: MA
I was about to ask you how big your kunzite was - and then I remembered you got it from me. Seller's regret; one day I'm getting another one. If only those custom settings weren't so expensive.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi