Custom Search
Who's Online
1 registered (mmascall), 82 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
Before and After of Baked CZ Ring
by bippulife
05:20 PM
Looking for a flat tapered solitaire
by GIABryan
04:30 PM
Wink or DiamondAngel, help with this ring!
by diamondangel
06:43 AM
Confused! Pink Moissanite or morganite or peach sapphire?
by amoradreams
02:32 AM
Tips for growing your hair
by Dana ♥
09:25 PM
Forum Stats
11296 Members
48 Forums
47404 Topics
779979 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
beautifultragedy, Ivanna Sparkly
Newest Members
klmnop875962, opqrst726083, mnopqr766113, bippulife, missambermarie
11296 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 37246110
celebrity engagement rings! 7107820
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3398513
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3218293
Check this seller out... 2364527
Favorites perfumes? 2003330
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1901960
Post your e-rings 1867993
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1634147
what's for supper tonight? 1347570
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#346935 - 09/02/07 02:35 AM Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes.
Tori Offline
Ashaholic

I don't get a chance to post here all that much but I just wanted to warn everyone so they won't have to go through what I am right now!! I purchased a pair of slide shoes from a payless shoe store. You know just a fun pair of shoes for summer - after a week of wearing the shoes I started to itch, then the itching got worse, so bad that I couldn't wear any shoes at all!! Then then almost overnight I got this huge red raised rash on my feet only now I know it's not a rash it's a chemical burn! I'm into my second week with these horrible burns on my feet and tonight I'm watching the news and see this woman talking about how a $2.99 pair of flip flops from Wal-Mart burned her feet- the shoes were made in China. I have the same exact looking marks on my feet! There is a void in the burn marks and now that I look at these stupid shoes it's the exact same pattern in the fabric on the shoes.
At least now I know what is wrong and I have been putting anti-biotic cream on the burns, but this is horrible and I just want people to be careful these burns are terrible and take so long to heal. The woman with the flip flops took pictures and they are SO bad. I don't rememeber where the link is but if you type "feet destroyed by wal-mart flip flops" on the net you can see her story. There is at least one other person who purchased her flip flops in July too at Walmart and had the same problem.
I just wanted to post this - I'm so afraid this will happen to someone's child or something, the trouble is how do you know this is going to happen? The shoes I bought were not from China they say US on them with paten pending.
Anyway this is very painful and I can only imagine what kind of scars I can look forward to. NO more cheap shoes for me!! I hope no one else goes through this!!

Tori

#346936 - 09/02/07 06:13 AM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: Tori]
cahill922 Offline
Connoisseur

Loc: The house of Testosterone!
Oh Tori how horrible!! I hope your feet don`t get that bad!! Here is the thread
http://www.betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/344312/gonew/1#UNREAD

#346956 - 09/02/07 09:45 AM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: cahill922]
ez2baprincess Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: SC

If it were me...I would be taking pictures of my feet and contacting a product attorney. There has to be some sort of recourse for a chemical burn caused by dyes or something.

Hope you get some relief!

#346959 - 09/02/07 11:19 AM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: ez2baprincess]
milk Offline
Ashaholic

Loc: New England
Oh no! I'm so sorry you're going through this, Tori! Have you seen a doctor? Maybe there's something they can give you to treat the burn.

I'm surprised that you had this problem with a pair of US-made shoes. Are they a well-known brand? It makes me wonder if they are really US-made... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that it's not uncommon for Chinese fakes to be marked as being made in a different country. I remember there was some problem with fake Colgate recently, that was marked as being made in South Africa, but was actually from China.

Thank you so much for posting, Tori, and please let me know if there's anything we can do to help!

Edited by milk (09/02/07 11:20 AM)

#346970 - 09/02/07 02:56 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: milk]
Tori Offline
Ashaholic

Thanks for the concern! I have not seen a doctor yet because all this time I thought it was just a rash and I was trying to take care of it myself. A friend of mine who is a nurse saw my feet today and told me they look like 3rd degree burns. The anti-boitic cream seems to be helping and my friend suggested using some vitamin e on them and loading up on some Zinc. I'm going to go to the doctor on Tuesday just to make sure there is no infection.

The brand of the shoes I bought were called "predictions" all black and the bottom of the shoes has this on it U.S.L.P.6,430,844; other U.S&Forgnpats.pend.

So beware!! I'm going to look at the back of everything now!! I saw people posting on Yahoo and ripping apart the woman wearing the flip flops saying "what did she expect for $2.99 shoes? Calling her stupid and saying why did she keep wearing the shoes? Well I know what she's going through and like I said first I thought my feet were just irritated because the shoes were new and honestly when it starts it does not look bad but over time it gets progressively worse!!! If I was not keeping thick cream on my feet I'm sure they would be a LOT worse!
People would not be so judgemental if they were going through this or their child. I wore my shoes for almost 2 weeks before this happened - I remember I wore them all day the day before the rash appeared so I think that's when I finally reacted to the checmical.
Again thanks for your concern and please PLEASE be careful!! I know I'm going to think twice any time I buy anything!

Tori

#346980 - 09/02/07 05:38 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: Tori]
LissaCat Offline
Fiend

Loc: The D
Wow, I am sorry you were burned by these shoes. This is getting ridiculous! I looked up the patent and it is a US inventor and assigned to a US company; however, I would bet a million dollars that they are still made in China. It is common, even though there is a patent in the US. We have a client who we represent for a patent and he is having his product made in China. I personally have started paying close attention to where my goods are made and I will not purchase anything from there anymore. And it's hard to find things that are NOT made there.

Please let us know how you progress and I hope you are feeling better soon!

#346988 - 09/02/07 06:10 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: LissaCat]
DarlingMomof3 Offline
The Millenium Star

Ouch! I am so sorry! Thank for the warning! Hope your feet heal fast!

#347006 - 09/02/07 11:19 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: DarlingMomof3]
LemurGirl Offline
Mentor

Loc: Florida
I read an article about Ann Taylor clothes that were labeled "Made in the USA," but were made in a US territory in the Pacific (I don't remember which) by mostly Chinese workers who are basically indentured servants. It saddened me that they could use that label without being held to the usual labor laws that protect US workers from exploitation.

Because the factories are not in the US proper, US labor laws do not apply. I think it might be that laws governing use of materials may also not apply to items manufactured in these territories. So basically, consumers are lied to, poor workers are exploited, and large corporations make big bucks. Yay!

I think this might be a similar situation. Outrageous.

#347049 - 09/03/07 02:54 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: LemurGirl]
ebedner Offline
The Millenium Star

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you are going through this! \:\( I would definitely see a doctor - AND a lawyer... I hope your feet feel better soon. \:\(

#347078 - 09/03/07 06:23 PM Re: Warning!!! Chemical Burn from shoes. [Re: ebedner]
CaraMish Offline
The Centenary Diamond

Loc: Alabama
Gosh, I'm so sorry! Hope your feet get better real soon! I hope you''ve seen a doctor...burns that severe and large very easily become infected...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi