Custom Search
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest posts
The 3 reasons I have been gone ;)
by essaince
01:28 PM
Coconut oil is awesome!!!!
by SugarCloud
01:39 AM
What is metal hallmark 960?
by elf925
06:58 PM
My new Chris CZ stones
by tizlet
06:39 PM
What to do when a project goes bad?
by CaraMish
10/21/14 07:46 PM
Forum Stats
11233 Members
48 Forums
47383 Topics
779746 Posts

Max Online: 307 @ 08/21/13 04:51 PM
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Newest Members
tuvwxy151922, zenny83, moissanitefan, grilledcheese, Kimbo
11233 Registered Users
(Views)Popular Topics
First word that comes to your mind... 36810544
celebrity engagement rings! 7065945
The Amora Blog...the Amora Gem Chapter 3364601
Has anyone done HCG for weigh loss 3206222
Check this seller out... 2353429
Favorites perfumes? 1998068
Meet Mira(tm)...a sneak, brief intro 1893609
Post your e-rings 1860981
Anyone want to be weight loss buddies? 1627680
what's for supper tonight? 1342226
Latest photos...
Floral OEC 3 stone
My Purple Raven
DK halo & stackers
Pear Spinel by DK
Rose gold collection!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42293 - 09/12/04 03:42 PM Copying designer rings
alexabanana Offline
Fiend

I have looked for months for "the e-ring" setting and I keep coming back to the same conclusion that I am head over heels over Verragio settings and want one soooo bad. I have some loose diamonds that could be used to have a custom setting made to resemble a Verragio but I know that there are copyright issues and am not sure if anyone would make the ring because of that. Has anyone had a copy of a designer ring made and if so, did you have to change anything about the ring and how difficult was it to find someone to make the ring? I kind of feel guilty about trying to have a copy made, but the Verragio settings cost more than we have right now. Any insight is appreciated.

#42294 - 09/12/04 03:48 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: alexabanana]
Cyn Offline

BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: BKAC
As far as I know, some detail is always changed. If I were you, I'd shoot an email or give a phone call to Wink and ask him for his insight.

#42295 - 09/12/04 05:07 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: Cyn]
alexabanana Offline
Fiend

Thanks, I will ask him about it. Deep down, I feel like out of respect for the designer I shouldn't have a copy/near look alike made. I know I want an Asha as a center stone but the Verragio settings I like are atleast $3000. I can either save my money for a very long time for the real thing or try to think of changes for an existing design and find out how much I would save by having it custom made. I wonder what the markup for the "Verragio" stamp is above how much the Verragio rings cost to make. With the cost of the diamonds, platinum and the work done to make them, maybe there isn't that much of a markup?

#42296 - 09/12/04 05:29 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: alexabanana]
Cyn Offline

BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: BKAC
DA would probably know an approximate, but I'd bet there is a nice li'l chunk o'change involved in $'s for the "name".

#42297 - 09/12/04 05:44 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: alexabanana]
diamondangel Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: Northwestern NJ
I didn't think the Verragio settings were THAT much money...in the $1,300-$1,800 range on average. I could be wrong though. I know Tacori starts around that range, and goes into the $3k range. JB Star averages $3,000-$7,000.

#42298 - 09/12/04 06:07 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: diamondangel]
Wink Offline
The Imperial Diamond

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I would be honored to work with you to create something similar, but of course, also different. Often designer lines contain rings that are common domain, but some are so totally different that it is difficult even to be similar without infringing. I would have to see what you are wanting to give you an idea which catagory you are in.

Wink

1 800 524-7904

#42299 - 09/12/04 11:25 PM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: Wink]
Pookarina Offline
The Millenium Star

Loc: Livin' on the fault line!
Do a search on this and other popular diamond talking site and you will find reams of material about the issues of copying and copyright.

However, it seems to be generally agreed that if you adapt the style in any way at all no matter how small, then that is not a copy.

So adapt what you like from the other design and enjoy wearing what you love.
Custom made just for you!

Wink does this as do many other people, Mark Morrell comes to mind.
Anyone else who knows designers should post them with a thumbs up or down.
Maybe I will start a thread for lots of listings and recommendations.

Anyway, enjoy your lovely ring to be and also enjoy the process of having it made especially for you, you lucky lady!

#42300 - 09/13/04 08:58 AM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: Pookarina]
DiamLady Offline
The Millenium Star

I just had to jump in here because copyright is such a HUGE burr in the side of the quilting industry.

In our case (quilt designers) there are many aspects to consider when trying to decide if someone else has "copied" your design. There have been many infinite discussions on what percentage of change constitutes a "new" pattern. HUH? ... Meaning, how much change can a person do on an existing design in order to make it not a copy of the original. Trust me... you don't want to go down that road. The whole copyright issue in my industry has caused some extremely heated debates.

And to make matters worse, there is something called "Fair Use" with regards to using another designers work. How can it be fair for someone else to USE my work to make money for them??? HUH? Then you have something else called "Derivitive Works" which basically means someone else has used parts or pieces or ideas from your design and incorportated them into something else and be able to call it a new design. There are rules on that too. Then you have "Public Domain" which are items which were designed and copyrighted, and the copyright has expired before the newer laws and those items are fair game for anyone to copy and use.

MY GAWD!!! Some attorneys spend a LOT of years learning about this one area of law. Have you ever read the complete copyright laws? It's so complicated that I'm surprised anyone in thier right mind would attempt to specialize in it!

I imagine that a lot of the (Intellectual Property) laws also apply to the "design" of jewelry.

I don't EVEN want to go there!!!!!!!!!!

#42301 - 09/13/04 09:17 AM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: DiamLady]
spynena007 Offline
BTD Crown Jewel

Loc: New York, NY
Rhonda being an Intellectual Property Lawyer I know this can be very very complex. If you think reading and understanding the copyright/trademark laws is frustrating just try to go on trial over the fabric logo of one particular designer of hand bags. CAN I SAY NIGHTMARE!!!!

SPY

#42302 - 09/13/04 09:21 AM Re: Copying designer rings [Re: spynena007]
DiamLady Offline
The Millenium Star

SPY!! I didn't know you were an IP lawyer!!!!!!!!! I need you!! LOL I can't afford you, but I need you! LOL I think I may have to send you an email with some questions!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dana ♥, gemcat, tricksi